Topband: VERTICAL

Ryszard Tymkiewicz rtym at ippt.gov.pl
Wed Feb 11 12:21:05 EST 2004

Hello All,
I know this subject was presented here several times and I checked
achives of Topband Reflector but I still have a few doubts.
I'v decided to build another QTH for more difficult DXs /Pacific for us/ in my Parents-in-Law
apple orchard /quite big...200m X 1 km/.That's why my questions...
I'd like to build 30 m high Vertical similar to W7LR project.
Bob sent me a lot of details of his antenna /THANK YOU VERY MUCH for help Bob!/.

My questions  are:

1.I'd like to have top loading using a "hat" made from 4 wires, but what is is better to use
 at the bottom to match the coax...L network or Linear Loading which one is a better one?

2.How to tune such a vertical for 80m,using  that L network at the bottom or install at the top
  a trap isolating a hat from verical part /on 80m/? I'm just not sure if such a "hat" is changing
  a radiating characteristic of vertical.

3.Still I'm not sure with radials,what is better to use /for both 80 and 160m/,I know the best
solution is to have 120 radials each 40m long but I will able to install them only temporary,so
having 800m wire :

 a/20 X 40m
 b/26 X 30m
 c/40 X 20m