Topband: dx smlla garden and 100w

ian g0fyd at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 19:07:27 EST 2004

Would be interested to hear how much success any one has had with similar
wrking condx ie: a very small garden (mine 60x20ft)
and a 100W or less.
I have been qrv with a N shaped INV L squashed into
this size garden.Vertical leg is no more than 45ft
Have managed to work all continents and have just reached 70dxcc this week
with A45 and YI9 in the log.
I have not been fanatical abt chasing DX(one can only take so mni
disappointments) have probably only managed abt 12 early rises.
I have been qrv abt 2 winters but am sure finding it tough at times.
I think the trouble is the ant is very directional with some directions
struggling to even work europe.
A45XR was so patient in completing the contact 599/239 LOL yet wrked yi9
clean as whistle first call (fell off my chair)
Its very tough wrking east frm western EU.....
Have called KV4 and other CA stations when they have been 599 but with no
luck yet at other times with different radial patterns have managed to work
PY0F FM and a was spotted in YV.

We often hear about the biggun experiences...are there many strugglers out
there as this band sure sorts the men out frm the boys. I think sometimes us
smallguns cause a lot of qrm as we spend so long in the pile ups.
Spent 7-8 hours calling the A6 recently before I had success..

maybe sunspot minimum will produce a few more miracles taking me nearer the
100countries mark

Regards Ian G0FYD