Topband: Conditions last night - operating manners

Ivo Pezer 9a3a at libero.it
Fri Feb 13 18:46:41 EST 2004

I fully agree with Steve's comment - tail end, although I rarely use it, is
one of the most beautiful pile-up experience, if used (not abused) on both
ends, so it should be used only in such cases when both sides can read each
other's mind, and destinguish it from the bad operating practice. What I
often hear is that DX crowd (bad-mannered callers and policeman) usually
control DX pile up - it should the other way around: pile up can and should
be entirely controlled by the DX station who should use the best method that
prevails for the current situation.
My rule is: NEVER let QRM'er know that they annoy you - I just ignore them
and work stations at slower pace, and QRM eventually stops. On the other
hand, DX station has responsibilities too - I find it's unfair to hear DX
station coming back to you with "QSO B4" comment, whilst they do not send
their call-sign for minutes. Not everybody is using DX cluster and if not
always, at least once a minute DX stations should send complete call-sign
for those who don't rely on packet cluster.

If each of us would do some effort to improve our daily practices, I'm sure
we would all enjoy our beautiful hobby even more.

73 Ivo I7/9A3A

ex 5B4ADA/C4A/HH2AW/4V2A........