Topband: Conditions last night - operating manners

Don K5AQ donhall at myriad.net
Fri Feb 13 17:57:49 EST 2004

Earl,

I agree with you about their being no "line" to wait in. A pileup is just
that, a pileup.

I think Larry LeKashman, W2IOP(SK) described it best in his book "CQ DX"
back in about 1949:

"You have learned that to work the DX you must first hear it. This you do by
careful listening either for the DX or to an old reliable who is probably
working something good. You then must arrange to get your signal into the
DX's receiver reasonably free from QRM by figuring where the receiver is
tuned, or through what frequency is it going to be tuned"

All our efforts, power, antennas(both RX and TX), good receivers and
operating skills seem to me to contribute to the fact that inevitably, some
will work the DX before others.

73  Don  K5AQ