Topband: 2.5 mc sig frm WWV in EU agn

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 29 08:35:27 EST 2004

DF2PY wrote:
 >This morning i received the 2.5 mc DSB-sig from WWV (in Colorado) quite good.

         WWV was ~25 km from where I lived when I was in Colorado.  On
2.5 MHz they run 2500W output to a quasi vertical dipole.  Here is
their description:

"Each antenna is mounted on a tower that is approximately one half-wavelength
tall. The tallest tower, for 2.5 MHz, is about 60 m tall.  The top half of
each antenna
is a quarter-wavelength radiating element. The bottom half of each antenna
consists
of 9 quarter-wavelength wires that connect to the center of the tower and
slope
downwards to the ground at a 45 degree angle. This sloping skirt functions
as the
lower half of the radiating system and also guys the antenna."

http://www.bldrdoc.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html

This should be equivalent or a bit weaker than ERP from the big guns
in Colorado running 1.5 kW to gain antennas (KV0Q & AA0RS use 4-squares
and W0YG uses a 3 el parasitic).  Does anyone have information on the
power, antenna and location of the 1851 digi signal from Europe?

                                 73,  Bill W4ZV