Topband: Switch for 160 meter antenna

Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jul 21 09:49:48 EDT 2004

I have been experimenting for years with my 90
foot vertical with vacuum relays installed across
insulators at the 30 and 60 foot level.  The
reliability problems with the relays are not related
to coil failures.  The coil is the one thing I
have had no trouble with.  However, the contacts
eventually fail for unknown reasons.  BTW, we have
virtually no lightning in this area and there are
choke coils across the contacts to prevent static
build up.  I have  developed a motor driven wiper design that I
believe will be bulletproof, but I haven't installed
any of these switches yet.

To answer a couple of FAQ:

1.  Why not just use a trap?
Answer:  because on 75/80 meters, it won't cover the whole
band.  The antenna will still "work", but the
upper portion will do some radiating (bad in an array).
Also, on 160 meters, you have an extra loading coil you may or may
not want.  These drawbacks, in many cases, are not
a big deal, and I'm sure there are a number of happy
owners of trapped systems.

2.  Why not just use the whole vertical on 80 meters?
Answer:  a very good alternative.  I've done that a
lot myself.  You need to figure out how to match it,
of course.  Some people have trouble with that, although
it's not rocket science.  However, you can't use more than
1/4 wl if the vertical is part of an array.

Rick N6RK