Topband: line for beverages

Hardy Landskov n7rt at cox.net
Thu Jul 22 22:23:54 EDT 2004

Hi All,
The 450 ohm ladder line that everyone buys is actually by my measurements
374 ohm.  W8JI measured 377 ohm. We joked about it being the impedance of
free space, 377 ohms.  But it will work in a bi-directional Beverage
application with no real receiving differences on 160. It's a great way to
get two directions out of one coaxial cable.
It's good but the twin lead out here in Arizona is starting to deteriorate
due to the sun and ultra violet rays. I will be happy to get 5 years use
out of this system. It's alot of work, but in my situation, it was well
worth the effort involved.
My thanks to W8JI for his article in Communication Quarterly, Spring, 1997.
73 Hardy N7RT

At 10:09 PM 7/22/04 -0000, Jacques RAMBAUD wrote:
>I got several answer on my question regarding the 450 ohms lines supplier
/ types and also on the difference between beverage antennas made with wire
lines or coaxial cable, thank you to everybody.
>In summary the Wireman seems to be the prefered supplier.
>>From the answers  I conclude that electrically beverage made with wire
line ( 450 ohms for example) or coaxial cable are the same, the coaxial
cable beverages tends to break more easely , it also more difficult to
repair and need closer supports to limit sag.