[Fwd: Re: Topband: 160 vertical advice needed]

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sun Jun 6 08:04:58 EDT 2004

Dan Levin wrote:

>1)       I will build a 74' vertical out of ~46' of Rohn pushup mast topped
>with ~28' of aluminum stinger.
>
>2)       Add three our four top hat wires at the 60' level to both guy the
>stinger and resonate the antenna.
>
>Dan,

There is no problem with a 4 wire capacity hat but it should never be
attached below the stinger. It makes the stinger useless. If you run
capacity hat wires as guy wires be very careful, since they slope back
down to the ground, not to make the longer than 20-25 feet or else
unwanted cancellation may occur. If you break up the guy/capacitance 4
wire hat at 25 feet with insulators and add a perimeter wire all the way
around connecting all the insulators on the tower side will increase the
radiation resistance at the tower base.  Also remember to use good
quality insulators or Phylistran guy from this point down since the
voltage is high at the junction.  Also try to avoid acute guying
angles.  45 degrees is OK but less than this is going the wrong
direction.  You can actually see the radiation resistance go up as the
angle of declivity is decreased.

Also try to get at least 4 to 8  1/4 wave radials along with the other
wires on the ground.  I uses inexpensive THN #14 electrical on laying on
the ground here.

Hope this well help you

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ