Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Jun 7 17:50:51 EDT 2004

> How does the "hat" on a Cushcraft 402-CD work? You have those
> crossed aluminum rods after the coil, then extended aluminum
> after that. What happens if you take off the crossed rods?

The "hat" on the Cushcraft 402-CD (and XM-402) provides relatively
little capacitance compared to the element tip.  Without the
"hats," the element tip would need to be extended by 24 to 36"
each side (and 5' of 1/2" tubing is already a bit mechanically
suspect).  However, if one were to remove the hats and extend
the element tips, loses would decrease by about .4 dB (according
to AO).

I suspect the hats were there to reach a particular design
goal for element length and allow smaller tubing in much of
the elements.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK