Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu Jun 10 17:56:18 EDT 2004

Earl.

I have a Rohn 25 foot tower with a 204BA which you sent me the model
parameters and it matched right down to the foot on 1.828 Khz with the
data you sent.  When K6VVA wanted to operate this station in the ARRL CW
last spring I put up a home built 26 foot boom plumbers delight
interlaced 4 element 15/10 with a Force 12 type driven element matching
structure so I could use a single 7/8 inch heliax feed for this new
antenna.  The effect of adding the antenna below the 204BA was not even
noticeable on the "sweet point" on 160.  The 204BA with the longer
elements above make the 10/15 antenna below essentially invisible.  I
probably have some interaction on the upper bands that I did not take
into account because they are closer than the book recommends.  But for
top band it did not hurt one bit.  Is it safe to say that a close spaced
upside down Christmas tree is acceptable if you originally plan for the
big antenna to match at the onset? (Eric did well in the contest after a
return of being QRT for 10 years, I think he was #4.  So the setup is
not all that bad.)

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ