Topband: Breakall 160M antenna

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Jun 11 21:41:58 EDT 2004

The antenna I was referring to was described at Dayton in 2003, and has
been written up in at least one journal article.  Unfortunately, I had a
hard disk crash in March and have not recovered most files, and a quick
Google search failed to turn up the paper.  I think I recall finding it on
line -- I believe it is a product of some consulting Breakall did for an AM
broadcast antenna firm, presented at Dayton for the amateur audience.

The antenna is 4 short verticals, ~45 feet, with horizontal loading wires
extending at 90-degree angles to make up the resonant length.  The bottoms
of each vertical are series fed through short lengths of coax which are
paralleled at the common feedpoint. The result is a relatively compact
antenna with performance apparently comparable to a 1/4 wave vertical, but
with a very convenient feedpoint impedance (~50 ohms).

I'll be glad to share a NEC-2 file with anyone who's interested.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at