Topband: Beverage feedline suggestion

Paul Higginson paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 11:53:33 EST 2004

In message <4046B81C.3020004 at buffalo.edu>, David J Rodman MD
<rodman at buffalo.edu> writes
>My beverage antenna to Europe was cut down by new property owner. The
>best replacement configuration on my OWN property is 580' at 40
>degrees.  The only problem is the coax feed line is approx 600' from my
>beverage coax switch and another 200' to the station.  If the antenna
>is to be used on 160 and 80m, what feedline is suggested to maximize
>signal and minimize cost.  Right now the antenna is fed with "mini"
>RG59 and the antenna is at least 1 S unit less noise than my other two
>antennas.  I presume the quietness is loss of signal from the feed line
>length.  I haven't matched the antenna to the feed transformer yet, but
>it is hard to imagine that would be 6-10dB loss.  Thanks for opinions. Dave.

RG59 has an attenuation of just less than 1.1db per 100m at 1 Mhz and
this rises to about 3.5db per 100m at 10Mhz.

If correctly matched your  250m of feeder on top band is only
attenuating the signal by a few db.

The loss rises dramatically when you mismatch  thin coax, I'm not a
betting man but I would guess that would be a good place to start
investigation.

HTH

Regards
--