Topband: Loop question

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin at voyager.net
Thu Mar 4 11:19:34 EST 2004

Hi Jim, et. al.:

If you cannot shunt feed your tower, then the BC Trapper is a good approach.
I would suggest you can do better on 160 with a shunt feed, assuming the
beams on top of you crank-up tower provide some top loading.  Arbitrarily, I
would put an arm out a couple of feet at the top of the second section and
omega match it at the base and use a piece of flexible braid as the vertical
component of the shunt feed system.

For radials, especially at home, a minimum of 30 radials 65 - 70 feet long
is mandatory.  If this is a permanent installation, look up the radials
table in ON4UN's latest book(s) on Low Band DXing.  If possible go to 40 or
50 radials to reduce near field current losses.  If you can go to 80 or 100
feet radial length, so much the better.

For receive, my best luck with a loop near the transmit antenna has been a
pennant, with the load resistor at the point of the triangle more or less
aimed toward the TX antenna.   I would also use a KD9SV front end saver to
lift the RX feed and ground the auxiliary RX input from your transceiver
when transmitting.  If you can, try a flag from K6SE's original article.
The gain is about 5 db better than a pennant, so the preamp needs are
slightly reduced.  They also work well on 80 with a better gain.  Also, they
are ground independent.  One of the hams near Chicago uses a delta
configuration, about 28 feet wide by 16 feet tall, but I have not had
success with it as the feed line needs to be away from the RX loop, and I
could not do that effectively.  I would think placing the bottom of the loop
just above the height of your metal siding would be OK.

(I have no experience with the K9AY loops)

Good luck,    George    K8GG
(a member of the Battle Creek Special team)