Topband: Summary: Beverage feedline suggestions

David J Rodman MD rodman at buffalo.edu
Sat Mar 6 07:27:30 EST 2004

Thanks to all the people who responded to my inquiry about how to and
what to feed my new beverage antenna with.  I haven't acted yet, but the
materials are on order.

First, I decided to scrap the Mini RG-59 cable that I hastely put up at
11PM in the woods the other night.  I believe that coax is better suited
for either bazooka dipoles or beverage listening wire.

Secondly, I plan to use a RG-6 QUAD.  I got a price of 10 cents a foot.
This seemed pretty reasonable.  I ordered F-SO-239 adapters because one
can not solder the aluminum shielded RG-6 to typical PL-259 connectors.
I already have the necessary crimp tool.  I use rubber tape for all coax
connections outside, paint all screw terminals with liquid electrical
tape and cover the terminations with small plastic bags after wrapping
with wire ties.

Third, I plan to check the VSWR of the antenna today with my Autek
instrument.  Respondents have convinced me if the system is grossly
mismatched, there will be additional losses in the feedline which are
significant and might be substantial.  Since the feedline directly to
the receiver is all 75 ohm, I plan to set the desired Z or the
transformer tap for as close to 75 as possible.  It would be nice if I
could listen to the receiver while doing this however.  Unless anyone
else has a better solution for determining the match, I will do this.
Right now, the termination resistor is 450 ohm and the tap on the
transformer match is selectable 200, 400, 600 or 800 ohm ( I pre-set it
to 600).

Forth, I revisited the issue of how much loss I am getting with the
present setup.  I would say the difference in station strength is
substantial.  When compared to European stations and a mainly East
pointing antenna which has a 600' shorter feedline, the new antenna is
always 2 S units quieter to noise and signals.  When signals go over S9
there is a clear indication of a 10dB difference.  Therefore, I do not
believe the signal loss is insignificant 2-4dB.

Thanks, Dave.