Topband: Correlation

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Mar 8 09:42:05 EST 2004

> I tend to agree with the comments of others. However,
> up here there is a very definite correlation with
> geomagnetic activity. If I see the map of the auroral
> oval getting anywhere near James Bay, I know with
> certainty that 160m will be useless for me. Although
> stations further south may be getting enhanced
> propagation at the same time!

What I watch is the aurora level on the NW7US e-alerts. When it is down
around 1 or 2 the northern paths are often open.

However, an active aurora or high aurora level doesn't mean there won't be a
path. DX is sometimes exceptionally good on a skewed path even with high
aurora. This may have something to do with the way LA3XI (and other northern
Eu) and JA's come in here throughout the summer. They almost always are via
big skew in a direction east or south east for northern Eu, and west or
southwest skew for JA.

It sure would be interesting to know where the path actually bends and how
far it really is.

73 Tom