Topband: Antennas, Guy Ropes, and High Winds

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Wed Mar 10 21:53:59 EST 2004

   Polyester and many other types of rope are quite stretchy -- and some loose weaves are horrible in this regard.  With the long
lengths involved, it is quite easy for the combination of sag in the guy plus stretch to allow considerable change in the
coordinates of the guy attachment point.  This can put the vertical out of column.  Once far enough out of column, it will crumple
over.  No guy needs to break for this kind of failure.  Changing the size of the polyester rope will not fix the problem -- it will
make it worse because the heavier rope will sag more.  The lighter twine looks "straighter" because it doesn't have the same weight
sag.

   Amarid and kevlar fiber ropes are the least stretchy, but also expensive.  These are used quite a bit in sailboat racing, where
stretchy ropes are usually undesirable (one wants to keep a sail exactly in position against varying wind loads).  Naked versions of
these lines are readily available, but check their UV resistance.  You may be better off with a covered version.  If you do not want
to use metallic guys or fiberglass rod, then use these lines.  This will improve, but not eliminate, the issue of stretch and sag.
Rope guying can not be used at some point, regardless of rope technology, because it will just stretch too much compared to metallic
alternatives.

   Most of the give in metallic guys comes from taking up the slack in the guy.  For structures of typical amateur radio heights,
the stack is small enough not to cause a relatively large cross-section tower to move far enough to come out of column.
Thin-diameter poles are less forgiving: (a) the guys can not be tensioned as high because of the downward load placed on the
vertical tubing; (b) a small displacement caused by taking up the sag is a much larger % of the column diameter for a piece of
tubing compared to a piece of tower section.

   These lines will not address your initial failure mode: the break in the steel wire.  You should also take a close look to see
why that break occurred.  Was it really a tumbleweed?  Or was the tumbleweed merely the proximate cause, and that the steel wire was
weakened by fatigue or construction technique?

-- Eric K3NA