Topband: Front-end savers?

W5FKX - Don w5fkx at cox.net
Fri Mar 26 23:13:46 EST 2004

After avoiding topband for 50 years, I tried it a couple of years ago and I
am now hooked! I have learned that my inverted-L, while getting me to 95
entities, is NOT the best antenna on Rx!  I am now experimenting with rx
antennas, hoping to find a workable one that is able to fit into my very
limited yard space; but I have a question: do I really need a front-end
saver for my rig? I am using (alternately) a FT1000MP and IC-756ProII, both
of which appear to provide grounding during Tx for antennas connected to the
Rx terminal. Is this adequate? Since any Rx antenna that I use will be close
(<30 ft) to the inverted-L that I use for Tx, is the extra precaution
necessary?

73,
Don W5FKX