Topband: Antipodal Focusing Of RF Signals

Ronald Sekkel py2fus at integral.com.br
Mon Mar 29 21:58:49 EST 2004

Hello gentlemen !

Living in a place (Sao Paulo, Brazil) where the antipode is very RF active
(Japan - actually the exact antipode would be a little south of Okinawa) I
must say contacts with JA's are not the most difficult from here - and I've
worked them from 160 up to 6m. Actually several JA's travel to Okinawa just
to QSO with PY's on 6m, as openings on that band to Brazil happen much more
often from JR6 than from JA main land, probably due to the antipodal
focusing. Sometimes stations like JR6HI are s9+40db here on 6m - it's amazing.

Of course the QSO on 160m is much more difficult than in any other band.
The main difficult to work JA's on 160m is the short darkness window (about
15min max, around our sunset and sunrise), even during our summer when
conditions are better, and the usual summer QRN of S9+ - there's always a
thunderstorm around. As I keep the radio QTH in a small ranch 80km north
from Sao Paulo city (where I work and spend my week days), even my wife
knows during the summer we must leave earlier to the radio QTH on Friday's
in order to be there before the sunset...

There's a JA broadcast in 3925Khz (Radio Tampa, I guess) I use to reference
the JA sigs on 80, which is a good info for 160m too, as I've never seen a
160m opening to JA that did not happen at the same time on 80m. I was told
Radio Tampa uses 25KW into a dipole (??) and it ranges from S4 to S9 here,
almost every day during our summer.

I understand one big advantage for the antipodal QSO is there's always a
path not going over the pole, where absortion is quite high, in special
when sigs must cross the South Pole. Australia and New Zealand are not so
far each other, but the short path from Sao Paulo to VK goes through the
South Pole, and to ZL it doesn't - and that makes a huge difference, as QSO
to VK from here is quite difficult on all bands, even on 20m if we are not
in the top of the sunspot cycle.

My 2c.

73's and DX

Ron