Topband: shorten vertical

Earl W Cunningham k6se at juno.com
Mon Nov 1 18:44:20 EST 2004

Gene, KG4NBL wrote:

"I am putting up a 44 foot vertical and from just reading I need an 8
foot cap hat. The Base is 2.5" an the top is 1.25" can anyone confirm
this."
I used EZNEC to model that antenna and, with a capacity hat with eight
8-foot spokes (8-foot radius) and the ends of the spokes tied together
with a wire, its resonant frequency is about 3110 kHz.  Obviously, with
the spokes only 4 feet long (8-foot diameter) the resonant frequency
would be even higher.

To resonate in the 160-meter band, either the height of the vertical must
be greater or the capacity hat must be larger (or a combination of both).

73. de Earl, K6SE