Topband: Inverted ELL for 160M

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 11:02:07 EST 2004

Jerry:

     My Inverted L was ground-mounted, so I can't offer much in the way of
help for your elevated radial design.  However, based on my experience with
my tree-supported L, I can offer this.

     If possible, install your L so that the bend is supported on some type
of flexible lanyard.  I say this because I ran my L's wire through an
insulator that I merely tied to a high tree branch.  After a few months of
winter weather, the lanyard snapped and down came the wire.

     I replaced the Dacron lanyard with an assembly that included a 5-inch
plastic clothesline pulley (I didn't want to $pring for a marine pulley),
and a rubber bungee cord.  I wrapped the bungee around the tree branch and
hooked it on itself.  I then crimped the pulley to the opposite end of the
bungee.  I ran the L's wire through the pulley.

     Since I installed this flexible joint (winter 2000) I haven't had to
climb the tree to replace the anchor point.  The bungee is flexible enough
that it absorbs any shock a swaying limb might impart to the wire and anchor
point.  You might even wish to install a second bungee and an insulator at
the far end of the wire to provide even more resiliency to the design.

     BTW - with the pulley in place and some careful thought to the
mechanical design of subsequent antennas, I've been able to try different
versions of L's, as well as replace the L with a vertical wire for use on
the new 60M band.   I merely attached the new wire or haul rope to the end
of the L and allowed the L wire to pull the new material through the pulley.

     Welcome to the most challenging band in all of Hamdom!

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F