Topband: Inverted ELL for 160M

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu Nov 4 18:26:08 EST 2004

Jerry Keller wrote:

> Last, I have a spool of RG59/U CATV coax with stranded center
> conductor and double shield.....tinned braid plus a foil under the
> braid that seems like it's glued onto the soft white dialectric. It's
> marked  "Omnicable P/N E15901 RG59/U  E82833 20 AWG 75*C (UL) Type CL2
> OR CATV". Will this stuff do the job? How much power will a paralled
> pair handle? And what would be its Velocity Factor?
>
> 73,  Jerry K3BZ
>
> Jerry,

The foam core CATV drop cable, which is what I think you described,
normally has a velocity factor that is very high.  (77 to 82 %).  As
long as the tinned foil is free from moisture and the cable is properly
sealed to prevent deterioration, this cable can be a very inexpensive
way of feeding top band antennas, especially Beverages.  The loss of
1000 feet at 1.8 mHz is insignificant.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ