Topband: Aurora and its effect on the low bands.

JAMESAMS88 at aol.com JAMESAMS88 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 17:50:50 EST 2004

Most of this week the aurora has made some beautiful night time viewing for
us in the Northern and midwest states but its has caused strange conditions on
the short wave bands.
 Barry W9UCW reports a great opening from South Texas into Europe on top band
during the aurora. I was also told during a Nebraska weather net on topband,
all signals were lite but the local north south signals were much stronger
than the East west signals.
Also I have noticed that verticals seem to receive and transmit better than
the horz antennas during an aurora. I am not sure if I imagine this or its
true.  They say during an aurora turn your beam north for best results. Not many
of us can do that of course but the ones that have 4 squares, beverages etc.
might try this. Is it possible to work over the north pole into Europe on
topband during an aurora?
Anyway it looks like we may have aurora continuing through November 12 so
maybe we can learn something about topband and the aurora.  If nothing works just
go outside and look on a clear night, its really neat!   Jim W0NFL Iowa.