Topband: 160 noise pulses

W7lr at aol.com W7lr at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 09:38:00 EST 2004

With the many out there interested in or fighting noise on 160m I'd
appreciate some feedback on a noise pulse situation here.  It is on 24/7, only on
certain 160 frequencies, say 1824.6 1812.7 and many more (no special spacing
pattern).  Also on some bc frequencies and not heard above 3 MHz (or so) or on
higher frequency ham bands. If the rx gain is such that background noise is s2, the
pulses peak about s5.
The pulse rate is > 100 per minute, not sure if 120 or not.  Once in a while
one pulse will drop out maybe every 70 or 80 seconds but again no definite
period pattern.
It is not a huge problem, but say if you tried to hear 4X4WN on 1824.6 it
would preclude that. I did work him on 1827.1 on 29 oct before the aurora hit.
This is like the old adage that you need to define the problem before you can
solve it.
The noise is directional, somewhat west or northwest from here.  One of my rx
antennas that picks it up well in those directions is 370 feet long for Asia
with that end close to a distribution overhead wire powerline, which probably
makes a good antenna to bring the noise here - but it doesnt sound like
powerline noise itself. My EWE arrays further from the powerline show about the same
directivity of the noise.
However could what I see as directivity be misleading since the powerline
"antenna" could deliver the noise to me from anywhere?
The Beverage has a W7IUV type isolation transformer and I tried a K6SE coax
balun but believe the pulses are a radiated signal.  I tried car radios and
portable battery radios but too much qrn to detect the culprit. Next I'm going to
put the TS850S in the Bronco and do some driving around.  So maybe the main
question is what kind of device to look for that would produce such pulses?
Thanks for putting up with such a long story. Let the good times roll again when
the aurora goes away and we can
work a bunch of Europeans again.  73 Bob W7LR in MT.