Topband: Receivers

John Kaufmann jkaufmann at alum.mit.edu
Sat Nov 13 13:50:53 EST 2004

Charles Bibb wrote:

> I've seen no mention of the Kenwood TS-940S, either good or bad, or in any
> of the rankings. I know it's an old rig now, but how does it stack up in
> the line-up?

The TS-940S has a major weakness, namely poor phase noise performance.  It
is worse than the TS-930S and TS-830S in this regard.  Early model 940's are
terrible.  The transmit signal contains lots of trash, including discrete
spurs and broadband noise.  I know because I measured mine on a spectum
analyzer and published the results back in the 1980's.  Kenwood eventually
woke up to this problem and made some improvements, so that later model
940's are better but not great.  I still have my TS-940S but I would never
use it again for serious DXing or contesting.  I currently use an
Orion--it's not perfect, but it's the best commercial radio out there now
IMHO.

73, John W1FV