Topband: Vertical SWR problem

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Nov 27 07:21:06 EST 2004

Hi Jim -- I assume you've tried what George suggested, without any luck,
but it is the right thing to do given the symptoms.  Didn't you say that
the tap was already all the way to the antenna end of the coil (that's what
he's calling the hot end)?

I'd suggest you try removing all of the new radials from the circuit at the
ground stake, and see if things revert to the previous situation, just in
case something else has happened.  You might also try using just your
transceiver and sweeping the band to see if it agrees that the antenna's
resonance is where the SWR meter says it is -- this in case you are having
some subtle problems from nearby AM broadcast.

73, Pete