Topband: Receivers - More Data

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 29 15:46:47 EST 2004

I wrote:

 >I simply don't buy K6SE's argument that Orion is a "dud" for weak
signals.  In the most recent CQ WW SSB, I had the highest number of 10m
DX QSO's of any USA station.  All major multiop stations have much larger
antenna systems, multiple operators, dual positions, packet, etc.  My NC
QTH is not the farthest south and my ears cannot be that much better than
others. If Orion is preventing me from hearing weak DX signals, I cannot
understand these results and hope someone will explain.

<http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2004-11/msg00158.html>http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2004-11/msg00158.html

 >Total 10m QSO's:

W4ZV  1862
KC1XX  1766
W3LPL  1627
K9NS  1533
K3LR  1463 (M/2, so not really a valid comparison)
NQ4I  1458

         Updated for CQ WW CW results this weekend:

Total 10m QSO's:  (all in M/M category except me)

W4ZV   694 (618 excluding USA)
W3LPL  625 (512 excluding USA)
K3LR   579 (535 excluding USA)
KC1XX  492 (433 excluding USA)
K9NS   481
NQ4I   420 (south of me)
W4MYA  351 (slightly north)
NY4A   320 (same latitude)

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/3830/2004-11/msg01969.html

If Orion can't hear weak signals as Earl claims, then I must have a very
good imagination!  I actually learned a lot about receiving noise floor
signals this weekend since almost all were very weak.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV