Dead Bands (was Topband: Yaesu Key clicks)

Mike Roden - W5JR w5jr at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 29 21:53:36 EST 2004

I was not a serious participant but did have a mission in mind of as many
unique DX locations as possible.  About 75 Qs, split between 160 &
80.  Europe was everywhere, lots of Caribbean and several Pacific and Asian
stations.  I worked Fiji and Japan an hour AFTER sunrise from here in GA on
80 using a 135' doublet at 30'.  The 160 antenna is a modest inverted L.  I
always hear Tom working stations that just aren't there for me, but there
is plenty to work on most evenings.  I learned to catch the sunrise/sunset
cycles to maximize my efforts.  For me, W1AW is nearly always +10 year
round on 160.  I usually don't bother with 40m because it is too
crowded.  I must admit that I was never a 160 nut until I moved to the
"east" coast.  Signals ARE louder here than in South Texas.