Topband: B.O.G. vs. regular beverage

Logan Dietz cdietz at swbell.net
Tue Oct 12 15:51:00 EDT 2004

I think I have too high ground conductivity...  It did not work well here.
I have old river bottom soil.

Chuck W5PR

Subject: RE: Topband: B.O.G. vs. regular beverage

I've always used BOGs at 4X4NJ and had 5 of them last year.  They work
remarkably well.  I believe the only hesitancy in using them would be if
either (1) you have high ground conductivity or (2) you have obvious
physical constraints in having the wire on the ground.  I should add that
the ideal wire for this is twisted pair field telephone wire - the type used
by the military.  It has several steel strands together with copper and is
extremely rugged. By shorting the far end, you can check that it is not
broken with a simple Ohmeter check without having to "walk the Beverage".
You will find that it is possible to use a shorter wire for the BOG for an
equivalent pattern.  This is due to a lower velocity factor resulting from
the closer proximity to the electrical ground. In summary, "Try it, you'll
like it" (assuming you don't have the 2 problems mentioned above).
73,
Riki, K7NJ-4X4NJ