Topband: W6SAI three wire inverted L

W2pm at aol.com W2pm at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 21:36:54 EDT 2004

Antenna "efficiency" and loading efficiencies aside I wonder if there are
real, significant advantages in having the current node up top on a vertical
antenna (like that KE4UYP linear loaded model)  or as on a 3/8 wave inv L -
especially given a very comprimise location in the first place like a crowded
suburban lot with lots of nearby houses and other obstructions?  Only anecdotal
experience here on such a lot but it seems to me my signal report history was
higher to EU with the 3/8wave L than with the current 1/4 L - same exact antenna
and same exact single 1/4 wave counterpoise.

ON4UN makes something of obstructions on the near field in his book.  I
realize the take off angle on the 3/8 is also somewhat lower than the L and Im not
ready to make a factual proclamation by any means but it does seem to me
getting the node way up above the houses may be helpful at this QTH.