Topband: Elevated ground planes

Milt Jensen, N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Mon Oct 25 01:20:43 EDT 2004

Hi Bill,

That was/is exactly the case and what has been done at my QTH since the
November weekend of 1995.  Prior to that I had shunt fed my 120' Rohn 25
tower.  I have my home with a 65' high mulberry tree alongside, together
with other neighboring trees that obsured nearly 50% of my tower.

I simply jacked the tower in two at the 65' level, inserted a homemade
insulated section, extended the tower to a full 1/4 WL above the insulated
section, added four 1/4 WL caged radials going out to the top of 55' wooden
poles (visualize a simple 1/4 WL 2 Meter GP enlarged 80 times), matched up
the 32 Ohm feedpoint and I had an instant winner.

Try it.  You will like it.  73 de Milt, N5IA