Topband: Re: K9AY beverage transformers - did I fry them? -- results

Dave NØRQ (lists) n0rq-lists at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 15:24:48 EDT 2004

Thanks to half a dozen of you that replied.

I put a good DX Engineering 470 Ohm bev resister across the two terminals,
and tested with an MFJ-259B.  To my surprise, all 4 transformers tested
fine!
(R was 43 to 48 across the lower bands, X was 2 to 5, SWR very low.)
I was sure I had fried at least one of them.

Last winter, the feedpoint of 3 of my 4 Beverages was at the same ground
rod,
with all 3 K9AY transformers mounted next to each other.  Reading
http://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm , I found out that that arrangement is
a no-no   :-(   -- but that might explain why they didn't perform as
expected.
So, I'm off to reroute some wires...  ;-)

Thanks! & 73,
Dave NØRQ