Topband: inverted L favored direction

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Tue Sep 21 12:41:18 EDT 2004

Cesar wrote:

> Hi Earl,
>
> Many thanks for clarifying this issue. I'm about to erect an inverted L this
> weekend following the W1BB guidances (tnx PY2FUS). The vertical portion will
> be 59 feet and the horizontal will be 111 fet, it means 170 feet overall
> size. The soil conductivity is nearly 15 mS/m which means average soil if
> memory doesn't fail.
>
> In this situation, how will it perform? I mean max radiation angle and Z
> point?
>
> Regards,
>
> 73 DX de PY2YP - Cesar

I have used an L for many years.  The issue about performance is really a question of "does it matter?"  Any antenna that deviates from a true 1/4wL vertical (or higher) with a substantial ground system is a compromise design.  It looks like you have 59 feet available to you, not 130 feet.    The extra 71 feet would require rather heroic effort and expense, whereas the added L wire can be attached in a couple of hours of mechanical prep and related tuning.

The L design is used by many DXpeditions and a substantial number of home stations.  Why?  Because they work fairly well compared to alternatives.  If it works in your situation, aim the pattern, which has a beamwidth > 180 degrees, in the general direction of the population center of interest and don't look back.

Good luck, and see you on Topband!

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com