Topband: Radiolocation gone for good this time?

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:35:29 EDT 2004

I have noticed for several weeks now that there has been no sign of the
strang radiolocation beacon that has resided for years in the vicinity of
1950 kHz.  Originally it was on approximately 1953.2, then about a year ago
moved slightly down in frequency to approximately 1947 khz.  I noticed it
missing in the early part of the summer, and it is still not there.

With it gone, there are no longer any significant radiolocation stations in
the 1900-2000 kHz segment where radiolocation is the primary service and
amateur radio second.  Originally, the radiolocation industry had plans to
eventually push amateurs out of the segment as the radiolocation industry
expanded, but with the advent of GPS, radiolocation may about be relegated
to the dustbin of radio history.

The FCC reallocated 1900-2000 as primary radiolocation back in the early
80's in order to "reaccomodate" the 1600-1700 kHz beacons that were about to
displaced by the expanded AM broadcast band.  As it turned out, the
radiolocation beacons on 160 came and went, mostly already gone by the time
the first BC stations began to show up in the expanded band.

Don K4KYV