Topband: Beverage performance variations from season to season

Ted Demopoulos, KT1V kt1v at demop.com
Sat Sep 25 08:19:36 EDT 2004

I've had a 580' NE Beverage (reversible with K1FZ transformers) for a few
years and its been a big asset.

Three years ago I put up a 1100 foot NE Beverage.
The first year it rarely out performed  the 580 footer. Usually it was
slightly worse, both on 80 and 160m. The last two years its been
significantly better than the 580 footer. For some reason it just turned
on! No changes to either Beverage.

Last year I put up a phased pair of 580' Beverages spaced 320 feet. Last
year it was rarely better than the 1100 footer, but occasionally let me
pull one out I wouldn't have otherwise (both 80m/160m). Not an enormous
benefit, but worth having.
This season so far, the phased pair is almost always the best NE choice!
Again, no changes to the Bevs.

It seems the "best" RX antenna choice varies, which is not surprising, but
the variation on the clearcut "best RX ant of the year" is very surprising.
Anyone seen similar results??

73
Ted Demopoulos KT1V
Demopoulos Associates, www.demop.com
Aligning Information Technology with Business Objectives