Topband: 160 AM BCB filter

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 21 15:35:14 EDT 2005

W0UN wrote:

 >We'll see what he has to say about the filter.  Turns out he is WB5WPA
in Allen, TX.  No bounce on his email, so we'll just have to wait until he
replies.  I'll post any further info that I get.

John et al,

         Everyone seems to have overlooked that
WB5WPA referenced a very similar commercial
high-pass RX filter on his webpage:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/4426.html

"The Par BCST-HPF is designed to help shortwave listeners cope with
interference from stations under 1700 kHz ... especially nearby AM
stations. Strong AM stations may cause the front-end of a receiver to
overload. This may cause an AM (medium wave) station to appear on the
shortwave band.

The Par BCST-HPF is a 7 pole elliptic filter designed to eliminate AM
broadcast station problems on shortwave. The housing has an SO-239 jack for
input and one for output (accepts standard PL259 plugs). A bypass toggle
switch is featured to take the filter out of line.

The bandpass is 1.8 to 200 MHz.
The minimum attenuation for below 1700 kHz is 41 dB.
The notch band is 0 kHz to 1700 kHz."

         The price is $58.95 and I can highly recommend
Par Electronics through personal experience.  The owner,
Dale Par, W4OP, is very responsive to email requests.
Although this filter is "receive only", I don't view this as
a major disadvantage since most serious Topbanders use
separate RX inputs on 160 anyway.  Also, others have
already commented on potential problems with transmit
through the WB5WPA filter.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV