Topband: "Magnetic Receiving Loop / small loop , brief summary.

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Dec 22 15:38:20 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji at contesting.com>

> The problem is small magnetic loops are not what people
> think they are. I expanded my web page on small loops a bit
> and reworded some things.
>
> http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm
>
> 73 Tom

So, Tom, would it be safe to conclude from your analysis that there is
no real benefit to shielding the loop? If the real benefit comes from the
pattern, then shouldn't an unshielded loop properly isolated from the
feedline have the same sharp bi-directional null as a properly balanced
shielded loop? IOW, is the shield nothing more than a lucky charm
that makes people feel good or does it actually do something beneficial?

Thanks,