Topband: H/V vs Time (The N2XE Beacon Tribune)

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Wed Jan 5 08:38:31 EST 2005

On 80 meters I have a number of different antennas, widely separated,
which allows me to experiment with confidence that I am hearing/seeing
real differences, not just random coupling amongst the antennas... I
have noticed clear differences in signal strength versus V / H
polarization versus time this fall/winter season..
For instance, the 3 element, ground mounted, vertical array  hears the
band opening into Europe a full hour sooner than the dipole at 140
feet... Unfortunately, Europe can't hear me that early <sniffle, whine,
whimper> and I get the entertainment of listening to W1/W2 land working
them like popcorn popping...  Once we are well into grey line then the
dipole comes to life with signals that are a good 1 to 2 S-units
stronger (and much more at times) than the verticals... The downside is
that the noise the dipole gathers is usually lots higher than the
signals, so while the dipole transmits well, the end fire verticals
hear better (ya, ya, ya... I know that's not what you read in the
handbooks, but these arrays have significant f/b ratio knocking the
noise down)...  When we are an hour or more into darkness and the band
is as open as it's going to get, the vertical arrays outplay the dipole
roughly 80% of the time... However, 20% of the time the high dipole has
the last laugh...  And during CQWW SSB on 75 meters the dipole was the
work horse making 90% of the Q's...  During CQWW CW on 80 meters it was
exactly the opposite... <the dipole was retuned for the two contests>
And the Inverted Vee at 95 foot apex is a distant third place!

I only have the vertical on 160 so I can't give you differences there,
but the two bands share a significant percentage of similarities...
FWIW

Denny - k8do