Topband: Vertical Lightning Protection

Missouri Guy, N0TT n0tt1 at juno.com
Wed Jan 5 12:41:59 EST 2005

Hi Phil,

Impressive antenna you have there!

> I have had a large
> vacuum variable capacitor
> in place to do the job for several years, but lightning took its
> toll
> last spring. I thought I had
> ample protection...a 350uh choke across the base insulators to drain
> off static build-up,

OK, that's good

> and
> three sets of spark-gap balls; one on each tower leg across the
> insulators. This worked well
> through many storms.

I would use *pointed* spark gap hardware vs the round ones.
Electrical charges tend to accumulate where the curvature of a
conductor is greatest.  So, a pointed object would have the
greatest curvature vs a round one....that's why lightning rods
are shaped the way they are.

> I have another vacuum variable ready to mount;
>
> 800pf @ 18 kv, 150 amps.
> Any ideas on how to keep this beauty from falling prey to Mother
> Nature?

Set the spark gaps as close as you can without arcing under normal
transmitting voltage.  Protect the gaps with a rain hood.

Other than shorting out the capacitor when it's not in use, there
isn't much else one can do.  Mother Nature does what she wants!  :)

73,
Charlie   N0TT