Topband: How'd you measure that?

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jan 5 19:20:04 EST 2005

N2EA asked:

>>Bill Tippett, W4ZV, of New London, NC correctly copied code word OMAHA from
>>the N2XE beacon transmitting with a peak carrier power of .0000406 watts.
>
>Let's see, here.... that would be 40.6 microwatts.   Which means you can
>measure one tenth of a microwatt, with some unannounced accuracy.
>
>Not that I question your assertion...but for the instrumentation guys
>among us, or merely the curious...  How'd you do that?
>
>And how do you know you're right?

Depending on how the measurement was made with the spec an,
there are tolerances & uncertainties that can add up to a few dB.
That power level is well above the instrument's noise floor, but for
an absolute measurement I would think that measuring the voltage
developed across a resistor would give the sort of accuracy desired
for serious power/distance comparisons.

73 & HNY, VR2BrettGraham