Topband: How'd you measure that?

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jan 5 22:50:21 EST 2005

W8JI asked:

>Why does it matter anyway? Doubling the distance can mean
>more than 10dB change in level, not 3dB. This isn't
>freespace. The path loss is not in a linear relationship
>with distance, and no one knows what the antenna efficiency
>or pattern is anyway.
>
>Mile per watt is a "fun thing". We shouldn't take it as a
>standard that can be converted to distances other than the
>one actually covered. Who cares if it is 10dB one way or
>another?

Still waiting for a mailer-daemon message to come back for my
first attempt at my post.

I merely wanted to point out that the power levels used are
probably not what they are thought to be, as the instrument
used is a bit sloppy for absolute measurements - even if in cal,
sufficiently warmed up & self-cal'd beforehand.

73 & HNY, VR2BrettGraham