Topband: Conditions last night

N1BUG paul at n1bug.net
Fri Jan 7 07:54:58 EST 2005

As others have noted, propagation was very good last night.
Europe was in early and strong, starting at least 30
minutes before my sunset.

I found VK6HD about 2055, or about 12 minutes before SS.
Mike was 569/579 at the time!!! Worked him about 10 minutes
later, down a bit to 559. He was still coming in 449 or
better until at least 2120 (and several minutes later I
think, failed to make a note of it).

There was the typical pronounced dip in European signals
after sunset for a couple of hours, then tremendous signals
from Europe and 5T5SN. 9K2MU popped up to 579 but didn't
seem to stay on long.

I quit early so as to be around well before SR, but
conditions this morning were terrible. Heard only VK3ZL,
very much weaker than normal. Could not hear VK6ABL or
various JA's.

Paul, N1BUG