Topband: Topband Propagation

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Fri Jan 7 20:23:51 EST 2005

Bob Brown-NM7M wrote:

> Friends in Radio Land,
>
> As I watch the postings on the Reflector, I see a growing interest
> in Topband propagation but the interest seems misguided, toward
> setting up many beacons instead of looking directly for the variables
> which affect propagation.  Let me offer a few ideas:

...snip...

> This means monitoring stations should be close to where radiosonde WX
> data observations are taken daily at 0000 UTC and T, P and wind data
> compared with signal strengths of a stable beacon transmitter.
>
> So I would argue the number of beacons is not the point, it is the data
> collected on relevant variables.
>
> Any objections?
>
> 73,
>
> Bob, NM7M

Bob, and others

Perhaps what you are referring to is setting up a system by which atmospheric data can be collected simultaneous to a beacon, or series of beacons, used to study propagation implications.

As you indicated, there is substantial information available.  For a brief description of what a "Radiosonde" is all about.  Give this a quick read from the U of Wisc. http://www.aos.wisc.edu/~hopkins/wx-inst/wxi-raob.htm

A substantial database exists that allows some collected data to be retrieved.  A quick perusal of the archives indicates and almost real time availability of sophisticated Radiosonde data.  Checking out the NOAA website on the subject: http://raob.fsl.noaa.gov/  Although the format is somewhat awkward when presented in the HTML format, I am fairly certain that the information can be accessed in a meaningful manner for purposes of further study.

So if I understand you correctly Bob, you are indicating a series of beacons with the radiosonde data superimposed on the data could provide us with an improvement in our understanding of Topband propagation?

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com