Topband: CONDX fro Toronto last night

Dave Heil k8mn at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 10:54:16 EST 2005

VE3NE wrote:

> I noticed light echo on W3GH's signal. That was something new. Did any one else
> noticed? I guess his signal was reflected by the Aurora, however the signal was clean
> and not aurora like.
> After 06:30 West coast signals came up dramatically and some of them were 599++

I noted the slight delay on several North American signals.  I heard a
large number of EU stations but nothing I needed so I contented myself
with listening to that action.

5T5SN was really good copy while working EU about 0030z.  There was a
goodly NA crowd calling him too.  I gave several calls on his frequency
and he kept responding to Europeans.  I moved my transmit frequency up
by about 200Hz and he came right back for a new one for me.  That and
having my insurance company come through (under pressure) with a decent
settlement for one of my towers, the Skyhawk, rotor and VHF/UHF antennas
made the day for me.

The 5T5 QSO was made using the N4XX coaxial inverted "L"--the one which
covers the band at under 2:1 SWR with no external network. Ike K8IP,
across the river in St. Clairsville, Ohio uses the same antenna.

Dave Heil K8MN
Cameron, WV
"not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here"