Topband: Fw: More EUROPE from West coast

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Jan 9 10:08:30 EST 2005

But the REAL frustration was EA3JE - around
0630utc peaking solid 589 to 599 !
He was not able to hear stations calling west
of the Mississippi - BOY, was he LOUD ! !!
He was using Hand Key maybe 8 wpm !>>>

When I use 1.5kW and a four square to call him, I am
generally not successful unless he is 10-20 over nine here
(against my S1-2 background noise).

I think he is in an extremely good transmitting situation
and an equally poor receiving situation. Near the coast, but
also right across from a huge power substation.

I wouldn't waste my time calling him unless he was well over
S-9.

73 Tom