Topband: For Mike W4EF- FT847 Clicks?

Phil Catterall g4obk at philcatterall.plus.com
Wed Jan 19 11:12:32 EST 2005

Hi Mike

I'm not surprised that you didn't get any complaints of clicks when you ran
the FT847 in the Stew Perry. My unmodified FT1000MP used to be 2.5 times as
bad as my FT847 was before I did the W8JI mod.

I did some rough and ready comparisons in 2003 as I also use an FT847 on
VHF/HF for back-up. My main rig is a circa 1998 (approx) FT1000MP. I did the
W8JI keyclick mod (Acknowledgement to Tom - THANKS). The results of the
comparison and the difference Tom's mod made to my rig  in 2003 are on my
website. The findings revealed that the click bandwidth of my unmodified
FT1000MP was 2.5 times worse than on my FT847. On completion of the mod the
click bandwidth of the FT1000MP was HALF as bad as the FT847!

That mod made a great difference and I haven't had a single complaint of
clicks on 160m or any band since. I like Yaesu equipment so if you are the
same and you are attached to your FT1000MP don't necessarily get rid - save
the money and do the mod.

I suffered similarly with a Yaesu FT107M in the mid 1980s, tried my best to
fix that one - Yaesu furnished me with a mod, but in the end it didn't work
so it had to go. I would have considered upgrading to a Mark 5 field last
year, but not while the problem prevails on new Yaesu equipment, I'll stick
with what I have, so that is another lost sale for Yaesu until they sort
themselves out and considering how antisocial some of their transceivers are
to CW LF enthusiasts.

Could it be that hard keying is what Yaesu desire - does it help one
pentrate the pile up as well as meaning that others keep away from you in
contests when you are running because you occupy more bandwidth? I don't
know the answer to that one.

73 Phil Catterall G4OBK

Keyclick mod comparsion between FT847 V FT1000MP:

http://www.qsl.net/g4obk/Yaesu%20Key%20Clicks.htm