Topband: Keyclick CATHARSIS

Tod - MN tod at k0to.us
Wed Jan 19 13:23:16 EST 2005

Actually, I am pleased that we have devoted so many pages of emails to
FT1000 series key clicks. It is a thing that happens every year about this
time. Once everyone has received the cathartic relief by writing Yaseu
nasty-grams the subject goes away until next year. Perhaps the most
beneficial thing is that every year a few more guys take the matter to heart
and do the modification.

I suspect that the reason things peak in the winter is because that is the
time we use the radios in contests and on 160 meters (or both). The rest of
the year the cw signal density is sufficiently low that one can simply slide
a few KHz away if that is necessary. Things are exacerbated by the fact that
many contest ops are using the FT1000 series to drive an amplifier and that
simply "amplifies" the problem.

Now that we have that out of our collective system, I wonder what the new
topic of the week will be?

Tod, KØTO