Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest Observations

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 31 17:16:38 EST 2005

   Some observations on the contest :

 1)   Why do US/VE stations still insist on transmitting in the DX window ?  I told a couple guys they
 were in the DX window and they basically ignored me. One of the guys could copy CW (somewhat)
 and replied  "Yes, he knew he was in the DX window" and then just continued to CQ. Guys who are
 in rare states or VE sections seem to like to do this every 160 contest..  Usually no one tells them to move because we want to work them. Maybe I should go to KY for the next 160 contest since it seemed to be "rare" this time around and then just setup myself in the DX window ???

       Maybe we need a better method of working DX during a 160 contest .  It seems like only a couple DX stations can use 1830-1835 at a time and they still have trouble hearing . (except for the guys with really big antennas plus everyone on the East Coast that has an antenna that resonates on the  top band.)  What about going back to listening split like guys did years ago ???

      Since most of EU (and JA) are limited to frequencies below 1835 or so , why not leave the lower part of the band free for DX stations and then keep most of the US/VE activity higher in the band or even above 1,900 Mhz. . When you want to try to work DX listen split  - EU listen up and US/VE listen down.  I think with a system like this everyone would benefit from working more DX. I know this would work because when the contest was over I was able to work some stations in EU with no problem (and 100 watts and a crummy antenna)  because all the contest QRM was gone that made it impossible for me to work them in the contest....

2)  CQ- Please get rid of 10 point (and 5 point) QSO's !!!  It gives an unfair advantage to those stations who already have a big advantage.  EU has no incentive to listen for the USA other then getting multipliers. It's better off for them to run off 5 point QSO's working other EU stations. Why waste a few mins on a weak 10 point QSO when you could probably make many more( EU) 5 point QSO's in that amount of time ???

No, disrepect to VY2ZM/K1ZM,  but I live further away from CA then PEI is from EU and I only get 2 points a QSO and they get 10 points for a closer distance. This rule discourages people other then those who have a propagation advantage from seriously operating or even operating at all.. Getting rid of this scoring system would also encourage more activity from the West Coast....

Just my 2 cents worth.....

              73,  Jeff