Topband: Experiences with inverted L

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Thu Jun 2 00:26:54 EDT 2005

> Fellow 160 meter enthusiasts,
>
> I just joined the reflector and wonder if anybody could share their
> experiences with inverted L antennas, something along the lines of what a 35-40 ft
> vertical section and 90-100 ft horizontal section might perform like with say
> 16-25 radials, about 100 ft long, buried.  This is the antenna I'm planning to
> erect, if it is worthwhile.  Modeling efforts of others indicate it has some
> potential, not a barn-burner, but at least it would get me back on the band after
> a 35 year gap.  But with very limited time, I'd rather not put up an antenna
> that will perform poorly for stateside contacts, hi.
>
> 73s,
>
> Evan

Evan,

I assume you have a grounded tower?  The inverted L does just fine when shunt fed.  If you are an ARRL member, check this out...  It is a sidebar that I wrote for the 2002 160M contest results.

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2002/160-Meters/sb.html

This example uses a relay at the top of a 42' Rohn 25G tower to select either an 80M hat wire or the 160M hat wire.  The article suggests 8 - 50' radials.  I have since beefed that up to add an additional 11 wires of about 130' ( although I think the mower got a couple of them).

The L is not perfection by any means.  But it did land me the SOLP #3 spot in this year's 160M contest.  Proof positive that they work.

Modeling suggests that there is some horizontal component.  But this is not necessarily all bad--especially for domestic QSOs.  Lots of guys are running very long inverted Vs and the like, which are cloud burners too.

Good luck with your project.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com