Topband: Automatic Switching on 80/160 Vertical

Chortek, Robert L rlc at berliner.com
Tue Mar 1 17:43:58 EST 2005

Hello Topbanders,

I am trying to design an automatic bandswitching system for a linear
loaded vertical I am building. The antenna will be a full 1/4 wave on
80, and will have linear loading for 160.  The vertical will be
insulated at one section of the antenna, about 1/3 of the way up, and
the linear loading wires will be attached to each side of that insulated
gap and run down in an upside down "V".

I need a way to short out the linear loading wires to use it on 80
meters.  Clearly a relay can be used to accomplish this task, but I
would prefer automatic band switching if possible. Can anyone tell me if
I put a 400 pf capacitor (or some other value) across the insulated gap,
will that cap effectively short out the linear loading wires at 3.5 MHz
and be "open" at 1.8 MHz?  This is similar to the Butternut HF2V L/C
network concept (or the 160 mtr L/C option) except that the L is
replaced by the linear loading wires.  I would like to avoid coil

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

73 es thanks,

Bob/AA6VB

Robert Chortek
Berliner Cohen
Ten Almaden Boulevard, Eleventh Floor
San Jose, CA 95113
ph.: 408-286-5800
fax: 408-998-5388
e-mail: robert.chortek at berliner.com

This electronic mail message and any attachments are intended only for
the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this message or by telephone. Thank you.