Topband: full wave loop

DAVID CUTHBERT DAVIDNNAN at MSN.COM
Thu Mar 3 09:09:20 EST 2005

Robert,

  I ran a simulation of a horizontal full wavelength loop and a dipole, both at 50'. They are quite similar. They are cloud burners. But, compared to a 1/4 wavelength vertical with 18 radials they all have the same gain (within a dB or two) at a takeoff angle of 30 degrees. For working in the US I don't think you would notice much difference. For DX there will be a difference in favor of the vertical. Now given the same foot print you might consider a vertical with top loading wires. Vertical for 50' and then four top loading wires of 80' or so.

      Dave WX7G